Community-Based Vocational Resources
I hope people are staying healthy and happy throughout this unprecedented time.
While at home, we want to ensure students are engaged in activities that keep them focused, challenged, and engaged! The Community-Based Vocational Program staff have provided a list of free resources based on recommendations from the Transition Coalition website and the National Technical Assistance Center on Transition NTACT. These resources are for family members and students to access while at home and are designed to supplement scheduled programmatic activities offered throughout the day.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of any assistance.
Moira Leon, Community-Based Vocational Program Coordinator
Assessment and Planning Resources
- Transition Assessment Matrix- http://amazingeducationalresources.com/ Indiana Secondary Transition Resource Center
- The Job Center- http://www.youthhood.org/jobcenter/index.asp is youth/student centered and an opportunity for online exploration and planning.
- Support youth in the development of post-school employment goals: http://www.parentcenterhub.org/repository/employment/
- Learn about potential members on your transition team: http://www.parentcenterhub.org/repository/adultservices/
- Explore Career Aptitude Testing Resources-
- General Work Skills and Behaviors Assessments- http://cb4cb5aa6990be188aff-8017fda59b77ece717432423a4f3bbdf.r43.cf1.rackcdn.com/General-Work-Skills-and-Behavior-Assessment.pdf
- Florida’s Career Cruiser guide. Accessible materials for educators and families for the guide.
- North Dakota’s Launch My Life – https://www.launchmylifend.com/
- Wisconsin’s Let’s Get to Work – http://www.letsgettoworkwi.org/index.php/lgtw-resource-guide/career/
- Support youth in secondary transition planning through this guide – Dude, Where’s My Transition Plan – https://prntexas.org/prn-resources/TransitionBooklet_PartnersResourceNetwork-Eng.pdf
- Careers Cluster Interest Survey Job Shadow Feedback Photo Career Quiz – https://instrc.indiana.edu/pdf/transition_matrix/CareerClustersInterestSurvey.pdf
- Job Shadow Feedback: https://instrc.indiana.edu/pdf/transition_matrix/AA%20Job%20Shadow%20Feedback.pdf
- Photo Career Quiz – https://www.truity.com/test/photo-career-quiz
- Positive Personal Profile- https://transcen.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Blank-Positive-Personal-Profile.pdf
- Disability Disclosure- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=iMb5aURm81s&feature=emb_title
- Get Ready for College – virtual course for high school students interested in college may satisfy virtual credits toward a Virginia diploma, but is relevant for students with intellectual or developmental disabilities in any state. – https://centerontransition.org/training/getready.cfm
- Research colleges and universities https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/ or through your own state’s college planning website.
- Think College – https://thinkcollege.net/family-resources
- https://explore-work.com/ WINTAC has worked with Employment Resources, Inc. (ERI), the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and the University of Wisconsin-Stout Vocational Rehabilitation Institute (SVRI) to design a series of web-based modules that align with the five required WIOA Pre-Employment Transition Services activities for use with students with disabilities
- Explore career opportunities through active participation information gathering: http://www.onestopcoach.org/ ; https://www.onetonline.org/ Play the Career Interests game – https://career.missouri.edu/career-interest-game/ University of Missouri
- Explore possible job accommodations: https://askjan.org/soar.cfm
- Focus Area Independent Living: https://transitioncoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Independent-Living-Decision-Assistance-Form.pdf
- PowerPoint slides for lessons on travel training from the Kennedy Center in Connecticut
- Cents and Sensibility: A guide to money management for students with disabilities – https://patf.us/who-we-are/publications/cents-sensibility/
- Budget Your Life: Forming a budget is one of the most important parts of financial success. This interactive site assist students in exploring budgeting strategies. – https://www.pacareerzone.org/budget/
- Busy Kid – Chore-Financial Routine – App – https://busykid.com/
- Practical Money Skills – https://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/teach
- Cooking – https://accessiblechef.com/
- Self-Determination “bell ringers”, associated with the Me! Lessons for teaching self-awareness and self-advocacy: Bell Ringer PowerPoints – www.ou.edu/education/centers-and-partnerships/zarrow/transition-education-materials/transition-bell-ringers
- Links to the Me! Lesson resources, Choice maker Self-Determination curriculum resources, Whose Future Is It Anyway? IEP participation curriculum, and other self-determination resources for FREE at Zarrow Center Transition Resources- http://www.ou.edu/education/centers-and-partnerships/zarrow/transition-education-materials
- Self-Determined Learning Model of Instruction website: http://www.selfdetermination.res.ku.edu/homepage/resources/
Healthcare Transitions quiz for Youth and Young Adults:
- HCT Readiness Assessment for Youth: https://gottransition.org/youthfamilies/HCTquiz.cfm
- HCT Readiness Assessment for Parents/Caregivers: https://gottransition.org/resourceGet.cfm?id=224
- HCT Readiness Assessment for Students in Special Education: https://gottransition.org/resourceGet.cfm?id=225
- Independent Living Lesson Plan Starters: https://gottransition.org/resourceGet.cfm?id=526
Recreation and Leisure
- Google Arts and Cultures – https://artsandculture.google.com
- Planet Fitness: One of the country’s largest gym chains, Planet Fitness, has been live-streaming free online workout classes on its Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/planetfitness/ on weekdays at 7 p.m. ET. These 30-minute, equipment free workouts are also available on demand on their YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/planetfitness
- Nike Training Club: This app lets you download free 15-, 30-, and 45-minute workouts designed by Nike trainers. Most of the workouts are equipment-free and use GIFs to demonstrate how to do each exercise — from squats, to walkouts, to lunges. There’s a premium version, too, that includes nutrition advice. https://www.nike.com/ntc-app?cid=4942550&cp=usns_aff_nike_content&cjevent=eaf8b92a834c11ea8023005f0a240614
- Core power yoga- https://www.corepoweryogaondemand.com/keep-up-your-practice
- Downward Dog: This company is offering its suite of fitness apps — from the seven-minute workout, to Barre, to Yoga for Beginners — for free, with no subscription required – www.downdogapp.com/schools
- Create a login at www.transitioncoalition.org to access some excellent Transition Tips from the field.